As the monsoon rains continue to haunt Chennai with backlogged water areas, destroying homes, and shutting down schools and colleges, it’s important to know these precautionary steps that might come into use to stay safe in this situation.
1. Keep your electronic devices charged at all times so that you can use them in an emergency.
2. Keep your important documents within arm’s reach and in a waterproof cover or compartment.
3. If you are traveling, stay away from electric lines and poles.
4. Only leave the house if necessary.
5. Make sure to drink safe water. Adding chlorine tablets to water tanks can be helpful.
6. Boil the water before consumption. Diseases are prone to spreading through water contamination. Stay safe and be sure to drink boiled water.
7. Continue to keep washing your hands. As we are still being hounded by the COVID-19 virus, it is inevitable to stay away from it even during the floods. Make sure to wash your hands every chance you get.
8. Try to clean out as many water sumps as possible. Waterlogging can cause a lot of other problems, such as the spread of diseases such as malaria and dengue, as they become breeding grounds for mosquitos and other insects. Make sure to clean your surroundings with chlorine or any other antiseptic liquid to be extra safe and sure.
9. Make sure to keep your pets and other animals safe too. Try to feed them or provide them with clean drinking water if possible. Just like us, they are struggling too.
10. In the event of a medical emergency, contact your doctor immediately. Any type of medical emergency should, without a doubt, be evaluated by a professional doctor. Any symptoms you experience may become serious over time; consult a doctor if you have any concerns.
11. Avoid self-medication at all costs. As long as you don’t know what you are dealing with health-wise, do not consider self-medicating yourself. Doing so can lead to other problems that could have been avoided.
12. Only after saving yourself should you be helping others. Make sure to ensure your safety first and then proceed to help others. Do not hesitate to ask for help from others when in need.
13. As we fight through these tough situations, it’s important to stick together and figure it out.
14. DO NOT PANIC — Panicking will only make your situation worse.
Share and spread these tips with your loved ones or anyone in need and help them be safe. At times like this, hope and courage are some of the most important things to carry with you, as hard times are always meant to pass. Stay strong and help others in need.